No Bake Puppy Dog Snowball Treats
1 ripe banana
1/3 cup smooth peanut butter
1 tbsp carob powder
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/3 cup fine desiccated coconut + additional for rolling
1/3 cup rice bubble cereal, lightly crushed (optional)
Mash the banana in a mixing bowl and mix in the peanut butter and carob powder. Add the coconut flour and coconut and mix thoroughly. Add the rice bubble cereal (optional if you want a little crunch in your dog's treat). Roll into small bite-sized balls, coat in additional coconut, and refrigerate until firm.
Tips and Tricks:
- These treats should be kept refrigerated.
- They can be frozen, but remember to defrost them in the fridge so that you don't accidentally heat them up and melt them. :)
- If your chosen peanut butter is gluten free, then so are these treats.
- Coconut flour is a good option for gluten-free / grain-free pet treats, but its also a pretty healthy choice outright: it is high in fiber, high in protein, and low-GI relative to alternatives. Coconut flour is also very absorbent, which is part of getting the right consistency and balance in these treats.
- Different carob products may be stronger/weaker in smell and flavour. My go-to carob powder is quite potent. Not sure about yours? You can probably get a very good sense from the smell, but don't be shy to try a little taste taste. :) It's pretty delicious...you might even get hooked! Adjust quantities if/as needed to suit your supply and tastes. Happy baking!
Hungry for more tasty treats? See all of our recipes here. Remember, treats are for spoiling your pup in moderation. Some dogs have special dietary requirements and/or food allergies/intolerances. If you are ever in doubt, have a chat with your vet.